Monday, June 01, 2009

An unslept wake

...Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

—Edna St. Vincent Millay, Dirge Without Music

You began preparation for your final goodbye a week ago today. I remember my mad dash across the city so that I could help you be better. I remember that overwhelming fear that you may have left before I came back. I remember you not able to look at me: I remember that glazed look in your eyes when you thought nobody was looking.

You know I hate you right now, don't you? I hate you for being such a coward after being so brave all this while. I hate you because you should have said goodbye and not slipped away when you knew I wasn't around.

I hate you because you won't come back again to tell me off, to scold me, to be my mentor. I hate you because, in the end, despite all my efforts, you did get your way.

I hate you because you won't come back to me again. I hate you because I won't have you around to love any more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beautifully Chaotic said...

फिर उसी बेवफा पे मरते हैं
फिर वही ज़िंदगी हमारी है

5:11 PM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger El Furibundo said...

Nothing comes to an end. Things just tranform from one state to another.

11:26 AM, July 15, 2009  
Blogger El Furibundo said...

I don't know what or whom you have lost, and in what sense. Sure, the memories remain. No one can touch them because they are yours. Someday, everything will be sweet. this is not about good or bad, but about bitter and sweet.

11:44 AM, July 15, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home